Sunday, August 3, 2014

Mister Banker, Mister please, how much does money mean…


Rae and I are actively making a list of things we like about India; things we will miss when we go back to the States. Today, however, I am going to spend my blontry talking about one of the things I won’t miss. I don’t think I have expressed how archaic the banking system is in India and how frustrating it is – an oversight I intend to correct immediately.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I hate Indian banks. First, it takes an act of Parliament to open an account. When I first got here, I was told I would need to open an account at the bank that MAII uses, so my pay checks could be deposited. In order to do that, I had to have all of my foreign registration papers, passport and visa; all my employment papers; an affidavit from our CEO; and dozens of pages of banking forms. After all that, it still took a week until my account was actually open. They are so slow and inefficient it is maddening.

This gets reinforced every month when I do the transfer of funds back to the US. Each month I have to go through the same routine of signing about a dozen pages of legalese; I have to provide each time the details of my US banking information (heaven forbid they might retain that information from month to month); each month I have to provide a signed, blank check; and periodically (I haven’t been able to determine any pattern) I have to sign a statement that I am not transferring money for nefarious purposes. To make matters worse, even though there are seemingly a dozen bank officers at my branch alone, there is only one who can do the transfer. So if he is sick, on holiday, or out of the office on business, I have to wait until he is back and available. Very controlled, orderly, and inefficient.

Oh here’s something. There are two kinds of checks. One kind can be cashed but one kind can only be deposited into an account. If it is with the same bank, the funds are available in a day or so. However if it from another bank, good luck.

There is another aspect of this I experience nearly every week when I deposit the funds that people donate at Church. First, you need to have a separate deposit for cash and checks. OK, that seems weird but if you insist I guess that’s okay. The really weird part to me is you need to have separate deposit slips for each check. Further, while the teller will take and process checks from his or her own bank, checks from other banks are examined and information is taken but then the checks have to be put into a separate drop box.

The final frustration - I think we did mention this at the time it happened – when Rae finally arrived here, I couldn’t add her to my existing account; neither could we simply get her a debit card to be able to access funds. No we had to set up another, separate account and transfer funds monthly over to it. Now on that account we could both be signers. So, I could be a co-signer on her account but she could not be a co-signer on mine. If she had been here at the time I initially set up the account, I don’t know if that would have been true. Perhaps then we could have set it up as a joint account. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt.

Operationally, things seem amazingly disorganized. There are computers, but I am not quite sure why since everything has to done on multiple copies of forms and documents. Consequently, there are piles of papers everywhere. They always seem, after a few minutes, to find what they need. Don’t get me started on their cash drawers. There are no trays or dividers for different denominations. There are stacks of bills, grouped together (but again no dividers) on their sides, so the denominations are not even evident. Once again, this whole systems seems inefficient and prone to error but somehow they seem to make it work.

So, I won’t miss the Indian banking system. The saving grace is they have adopted ATMs, which is where I do all the banking I can. But between my transfers to the US and deposits for the Church, I can’t seem to do everything that way. “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

Now, with her unique and cheery take on life, here’s Rae!

I will start by saying that from my stand point the banking isn’t so bad but that’s probably because most of it falls to Phil.  Since we both have a debit card on my account I had the bright idea that we just close Phil’s account and move to mine.  He had to remind me that it took him almost 2 months, and many forms to get his check direct deposited.  We certainly don’t want to cross that bridge again so, two accounts it is. 

So, as has been my pattern of late, I will share a few random thoughts as my part of the blontry. 

A week ago Monday Phil got a text from our branch president inviting us to FHE at the church at 6:30pm.  President Juriel’s wife, Rimpy, had had a baby boy on the 16th of July.  He didn’t tell us that this event was for them to introduce their baby to everyone.  We got to the church at 6:30.  When will we learn what 6:30 really means?  There were about 4 people there when we arrived.  As we waited, slowly people continued to trickle in. This is pretty typical of most meetings or gatherings. Some of these people were carrying gifts so we started to guess that this FHE had something to do with the new baby.  After a while members of their family started arriving and finally a bit before 8:00 the Juriels arrived with their baby.  There was a song and a prayer and a few comments were made about families and then the Juriel’s both spoke, in Hindi.  I gathered that they were talking about their adjustment to parenthood.  After this part of the program dinner was served and people enjoyed eating and visiting.




After doing the conversion from grams to lbs. we calculated that baby was about 5 lbs.  You may be wondering why I keep calling him baby boy, that’s because they still haven’t named him.  Naming a baby here is a family affair and all the family members get to weigh in on what this child should be named.  It requires much counselling, conferring and I guess some family consensus.  As of last night our little man still had no name.  They were hoping to make the decision by today but I didn’t hear if that actually happened.  Name or no name, he is a tiny, cute little guy and I finally got my turn at holding him last night.

Last night we had a missionary fireside which was well attended and it was there that I got to hold the baby. Here is a picture of President, Rimpy and baby boy on the night of the FHE.  The other picture is of him in my arms last night.





We left the fireside early to go to Old Fort for a light and sound show.  There are 8 forts here in Delhi, Old Fort being one of them.  The show was projected on a wall of the fort and basically covered the History of Delhi for thousands of years dating back to 3000 BC.  Let me just summarize that there were many bloody battles, a lot of destruction and rebuilding, more battles, the rule of the British and then the democracy of the Delhi that exists today. One thought that kept crossing my mind was how lucky I was to be born in the United States.  I struggled with history in school and I think I would die if I had to take history in India.  How do they do it? 

The show was outside and it was hot and humid and I felt like I was being dinner for a lot of mosquitoes, but I’m glad we had the opportunity to go.  One never knows when you go to things if a camera will be allowed so we didn’t take ours.  Our cell phones were not affective, so the only picture we have is one we found on the Internet. It’s better than what we could have taken anyway. 
   



Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment