Sunday, August 10, 2014

Find a thread to pull and we can watch it unravel…


Well, of course since we are into year two, we are seeing the second round of festivals. So here’s a test to see what you remember from last year: today is Raksha Bandhan; what is the key element of this festival? If you said spraying each other with color, you are wrong. If you said throwing popcorn and grain into a bonfire to cast out evil spirits, you are wrong. If you said sisters tying threads onto the wrists of their brothers to symbolize the bond and responsibility for brothers to protect their sisters, ding, ding, ding; you win!

As I mentioned last year, the basics of Raksha Bandhan are these: sisters put threads or threaded bracelets on their brother’s wrists. The brother covenants to protect and watch over his sister. Originally this was a Hindu religious observance. Now it is fairly secular with people of many religious faiths participating. Also, a brother’s protection has grown to include giving of gifts by the brothers to the sisters. It has also expanded from brother and sister to any male female platonic relationship. In fact some girls use giving a rakshi (the threaded bracelets) as a way of cooling off a relationship or letting a boy know she doesn’t feel about him in a serious way. “Dude, she’s just not that in to you.”

This has been somewhat of a wasted week, at least for me. I have been fighting some kind of bug for about a week and it finally caught up to me. I came home early on Wednesday. Thursday, I stayed home. I went to work on Friday but after a half day I was done in and came home. I was feeling much better Saturday. Even though we hadn’t been out, Rae and I decided to go help clean the church. Well, that was probably a mistake. It was about a 1,000 degrees and 200 percent humidity. After two hours, I was feeling totally wasted and Rae wasn’t in much better condition. I ended up staying home today from church but Rae was a better person than me. She fulfilled her calling and went to Dwarka Branch for their Branch Conference. It took her an hour to get there but it has been two and half hours since church was over and she is still not back. She has been texting me and says the traffic is terrible and there are areas the runoff water from the rain is very deep.

August is the rainiest month in Delhi, and today the rain has been trying to keep up the average. We had about two hours of torrential rain with another hour or so of softer, slower rain. That has mitigated the heat somewhat but given the fact our windows are all totally fogged over, I am sure it is not too cool out there. I don’t suppose we are done with rain. I just hope Rae gets home before the heavens open again. Besides, I’ve run out of things to write about. She has to get back to pick up this hand off:

Here’s Rae….

Finally!!!!! I've made it home.  As Phil mentioned above, I went to branch conference at Dwarka branch today.  I left 1 ½ hours before I needed to be there but luckily made it there in 1 hr.  That was definitely not the case coming home.  After a 2 ¾ hr. ride I’m home. The festival that Phil mentioned above and the rain were the cause of the delay.

Traffic was very dense and slow, and in some places there was deep standing water.  When we lived in Arizona there was a lot of talk about how people there didn’t know how to drive on wet roads.  Well take Delhi drivers and rain and maybe you can guess what the result might be.  On the way to the Dwarka branch it was just lightly raining.  As we went down into an underpass/ tunnel I noticed that quite a number of bicycles and motorcycles had decided to pull off to the side, climb off the bikes, have a seat, and just chill out there for a while, hoping I guess that the rain would pass and they could have a dryer ride.  Don’t know how that worked out for them.  The interesting thing is there is no shoulder or pull off section so all this takes place in what would be a lane.  It’s always interesting to me how cars will just stop wherever they want and generally are not hit or run over.  Somehow traffic just squeezes around them 

Coming home traffic was thick in both directions so I was surprised as we headed up a fly over to look into the oncoming lanes and see absolutely no traffic.  I thought is this piece of road closed, but why?  As we headed down the other side I could see traffic at a dead stop.  Looked like someone had put up an invisible barricade and every car behind that was at a dead stop.  As we got closer there were two men, one from each car, (2 cars side by side) having some sort of heated discussion, or worse.  Made me think of our old driver, just the kind of thing he would do.  Didn't mind delaying the hundreds of cars behind them while they had it out.  There’s always something that surprises me. 

As we came to areas where there was standing water, I’d say 12-18 inches, many of the cars tried to inch over to the side of the road where the water was not as deep.  Some cars took this opportunity to gain an advantage by racing past the slower cars.  Why wouldn't you speed up and race through 18” of water if it got you a few cars ahead?  The one that I really liked was the motorcycle with the man and his wife, in her lovely sari, speeding through the deep water and the water spraying up over their heads.  Wonder what she had to say to him when they got home.  I was relieved to see that they stayed upright and in one piece, although quite wet.  Arizona in the rain times 10. 

Because of this festival and because it was a weekend there were many families on the road today.  It continually amazes me how many people you can fit on a motorcycle or squeeze into a car.  So many families of 4, plus a box or package on a motorcycle.  Quite a few families of 5 and two families of 6.  Amazing!  I saw one minivan, and not the extended type, that was pretty loaded and I think I was able to count 14 separate bodies as we crept slowly along side by side. 

I could go on forever about so many things that catch my attention as I travel places, but I will elaborate some of those in a future blontry.  I will end by sharing a picture that I was able to capture on my way home.  I see this all the time but it is so hard to get a shot of it, and while todays is still not great it may give you an idea.  It is very common to see the auto (tuk tuk) drivers driving along with their legs crossed, sitting on one foot, or one knee brought up sort of under their chin.  Some very casual positions. 



I've also posted 3 pictures of our foggy windows.  One is from our living room looking out into our front yard.  Two are of the glass enclosure that surrounds our stairway into the basement.  This is what happens when it’s warm and humid outside and you have single pane windows.




















Until next week,

Namaste.         

No comments:

Post a Comment