Thursday, August 27, 2015

Will make him glisten, And gleam, and with massage, And just a little bit of steam...

Well, we are in Goa for my Ayurvedic treatment as we discussed last week, but it looks like nothing much else is going to go the way we thought. We had hoped to go to Tokyo and see Mike and Sheryl Jones on the way home. Nope, that‘s not going to happen. When we actually got the price for a three day layover through Tokyo, the tickets were about four thousand dollars more than the cheapest direct flight and we would have to have paid the difference. We thought we were going to Rishikesh. Nope, that’s not going to happen. Rae pointed out that whilst we have high hopes for the treatment we don’t know for sure how it will all turn out. She pointed out that it probably wasn’t the smartest idea to spend a couple of days in the car, on India’s bumpy roads, and then immediately turn around and spend 30 hours flying back to Portland.  So, instead of all of that, we are just going home. We leave India Tuesday the 8th at 3:30 in the morning and will arrive in Portland Tuesday the 8th at 1:30 PM. It’s getting pretty real.

So we got to Goa Friday evening and checked into our hotel. Saturday morning I started my treatment. I probably will not do it justice, but I will try to capture this week and next what I go through. So, without further ado, here we go.

After the initial formalities, or rather informalities (so unlike US treatment; no paperwork; no white lab coats; no sterile office furniture). I was taken upstairs to the treatment room. Once there I was told to remove my clothes and given what I can best describe as a paper jock strap. Putting on this fetching ensemble, I laid down on a wooden table (about the size of massage table) that has a carved out indented top with about a three inch pad in it. Once I laid down, two strapping young men started working on me. First they did assisted stretches, wherein each of the muscles and joints of my body was taken to the maximum stretch possible and held there. It is a pretty painful process; the only part of the treatment that is actually uncomfortable. Not surprisingly, my surgically repaired shoulders, my hamstrings (which have always been notoriously tight), and of course my knees and hands that are most attacked by the auto immune disease) were the most painful.




After the initial stage, the two started a brisk, invigorating, medium pressure, full body massage. Each one took a side. They started by putting warm, herb infused oil on my body then they massaged the top half of me, then the bottom half of me, then started a process that started at my feet, went up my body, across my shoulders, down my arms, and then back down to my feet. They carried on this circuit for a while and then they focused on my wrists and hands, and then ankles and feet. Then they went back to the full body circuit. They completed this several times and then had me roll over to my stomach and followed the same process on my back.

After that process was completed, they had me turn over on my back again. One of them did a face and scalp massage. Once this was completed they wrapped me in the cloth that had been on top of the matted table and took me to a steam box in which I sat with everything but my head enclosed. When my steam was complete they wiped the sweat, steam, and oil off my body and I got dressed. The whole process took about two hours and were the same both days except today, after the scalp massage, he poured heated oil onto my forehead at about the scalp line which then ran down my head and was caught in a basin. Very relaxing. The first day, I was pretty done in by the treatment. Today was better. I was a little sore and tired but I rebounded more quickly.

In addition to the massages, I am on a vegetarian diet (only during the treatment) and taking herbs before and after meals. These are for the most parts natural anti-inflamatories. I am not sure what else is to come, but I understand that it involves GI cleanses and suppositories. I can’t wait. If I was asked if I think the treatment is helping, while acknowledging it is only two days, I would say I am hopeful.

Well, that’s it for me. Here’s Rae.

I don’t have a lot to add.  I, like Phil, am hopeful that this is going to be successful, that would be a huge blessing.  The idea of Phil needing to be on traditional meds for the rest of his life is hard to think about.   There are so many side effects from the drugs.  They require constant monitoring of the kidneys and liver, two areas that suffer from these drugs.  We are hoping that after a couple more days he will be feeling better and we will have the opportunity to see a few sights of Goa.

 I’m trying to take this time to rest and relax before we get back to the rush and chaos of the actual move.  We get back to Delhi Sunday night, the 30th.  Monday I have to start the process of sorting out the items that will be air shipped and the things we will carry with us.  The rest will go slow boat, and arrive in 2-3 months.  The movers will pack us on Friday (4th) and load us Saturday (5th).  We will camp in our flat until we fly out Tuesday morning (8th) at 3AM.  We are definitely on the countdown.

Hoping our next blog, and last blog from India, has wonderful news to report.
      

Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment