Sunday, August 16, 2015

So tell me what is our ending, Will it be beautiful?


We have started having our “lasts”. Today may well have been our last service at Delhi 1st Branch. We have three more Sundays (or so) in India, but the next two Sundays we will be in Goa for my Ayurvedic treatment. We haven’t decided for sure, but the first Sunday in September we have discussed going to Rishikesh. If everything after that goes according to our tentative plan we will be in Tokyo the second Sunday in September. Then we will be home. It somehow doesn’t all seem real.

Since this may be our last Sunday here, they asked us to bear our testimonies. It was emotional to look out at the congregation. I have come to love these people. I expect there will be times I miss this or that about India; I am confident I will miss the people. Some in particular have become true brothers and sisters. We talk about seeing each other again, but realistically I am not sure that will happen in this world.

Quickly changing subject to keep from getting too emotional…. Yesterday was India Independence Day. We spent most of the day sorting our belongings into those we will take on the plane with us, those we will air freight so they’ll get there soon after we arrive, and those we will put on a slow boat from Chi… err, India. So our Independence Day activity was limited to the student activity at the campus on Friday. The students planned and conducted everything. I planned on only staying for 30 minutes or so but it was so fun that I was there for the whole program. Students sang songs, did dances, and made speeches about India and its Independence. What was most impressive to me was the degree to which students from countries other than India participated. We sometimes have trouble integrating all of our nationalities but Friday it seemed to happen effortlessly.

Here are a few pictures:






Here’s Rae!

As mentioned above, today was a bit emotional.  For almost 2½ years we’ve built friendships and watched these people’s lives change and progress.  When we first arrived at the branch there were basically 2 small children, Rachel and Aalisha.  They were both about 1-1½.  They are now 3 and 4.  There were quite a few young single adults and it was baffling and frustrating to watch them, just sort of flounder, as they faced so many prejudices and traditions that seemed to stand in their way when it came to being able to get married and move their lives forward.  I think we’ve talked previously about some of those things.  Families against love marriages; one part of India not accepting another part; economic differences; skin color differences; and of course the illegal caste system, just to mention a few.  Good thing the Lord is in charge and not me because as you might see from my comments, I saw little hope.

Within this last year we have seen several things change that make our hearts happy.  There have been several marriages, 6-8, and there have been several new babies born, with a few more on the way.  These are good things and we are so happy to see these young people, who are the leadership of the church now, taking these steps and seeming so happy in the process. There are at least 6 new babies and at least a couple on the way. Yay!  The branch is changing and progressing. 

These babies are all so darling, and the grandmother in me just wants to sit and hold each one of them.  It will be sad to not see them grow up and become “naughty” as they are so often referred to by their parents, when they start developing their own personalities and knowing their own minds.  “He/she is so naughty”, is the response I almost always get from parents when I ask them how their babies are dong.  Cracks me up! 

While we have had some great experiences, and some trials and frustrations while we’ve been here, I can without a doubt say that the thing that has touched my heart the most is the people, and I will miss them.  If I could give them one bit of council, it would be to not take offense so easily, and certainly don’t let an offense keep you from your activity and growth in the church.  There, I’ve said my piece.  


Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment