Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hands in the air, Presidents, prime ministers, They said that we didn't care…

Last week I wrote about Republic Day. A little follow up this week, and then I won’t write about it again until next year.

I didn’t go to the Parade this year. I just didn’t want to go by myself. I’ve travelled alone enough that I can go to a restaurant by myself but I just didn’t see myself going to a Parade alone. So I watched it on TV. It was interesting and I expect I could see some things better on TV than I could have in person. For instance, I mentioned last week that each State has a float that represents some important aspect of that State. Well, that’s mostly true. Some states sent dance troops rather than floats. When they reached the VIP stand, they performed for them. So, if I had just been at the parade, I would have seen troops of people in “effective but alarming costumes” (Reference? Anyone? Anyone, Bueller? A hint below) but I would not have seen their performances.



Monday evening, I had a fairly unique experience. I was invited to a business summit at which President Obama and Prime Minister Modi both spoke. There was happy talk by both of them and promises for joint activities. I am not confident that it will lead to much. I am sure the real advances are made between members of the two staff before the official summit actually happens. More political theater. Still, I was glad to be there. Kind of out of focus pictures below.




Most of the rest of the week, including yesterday was taken up with strategic planning activities. Consequently, not too much else to write about. I could include the descriptions I have written about various target groups of students we serve. But no. I will spare you that. Really the only thing that differed from working on the strategic planning activities, talking with Rae, and a few hours’ sleep was a meeting yesterday with the President of the Indo=American Chamber of Commerce. I am trying to branch out and get more involved in the professional community. I have been so intensely focused on internal operational issues that I haven’t done what I enjoy, I am pretty good at, and will help the campus: networking. Anyhoo, so I had the meeting. This guy is also the head of the Indian Bar Association. We had a very interesting conversation. It turns out he is also on the board of a private K-12 school that is one of the most prestigious in India. He has invited Rae and me to visit the school (it is about a couple of hours from here) when she gets back.

Well that’s it for this week. Not to give too much away, but next week will see another country checked off my list and even better…THE RETURN OF RAE!


Namaste  

No comments:

Post a Comment