Sunday, September 14, 2014

Oh, put me in, coach - I'm ready to play today, Put me in, coach - I'm ready to play today…

Thanks to John Fogerty for the lyrics that are the title for today’s blontry. It is apropos because of the first topic. This week we had a Sports Day. We rented a large sports facility that was built for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. We actually just used the warm up hall, but that gave us access to a 400 meter track, full basketball court, four badminton courts and table tennis. Our students really wanted to play football (soccer) but due to the rains we have had, the field was in terrible condition so we’ll have to have a separate day for football matches another time. We had about 100 students who participated in one or more sports and more who came to observe. Some brought friends from other colleges and they seemed impressed that we would sponsor such an event, so who knows we may get some transfers because of the event.

Most of the activities would have been immediately recognizable to any of you. As noted, basketball, badminton, and track took the biggest roles. However, there was one activity I had never seen. It developed spontaneously, I think, after the badminton contests. On a badminton court, teams competed against each other in what looked like volleyball. I thought, huh, the lowered nets for badminton don’t make volleyball much of a challenge. Then they started to play and I realized. They. Were. KICKING. THE. BALL! They were playing volleyball with soccer rules: any part of the body except arms and hands were acceptable. So here they were heading it back and forth, doing scissor and bicycle kicks; receiving off their chest to control the ball and then setting up a team mate to make a kick. Pretty freaking amazing. In any case, a good time was had by all. Here are some pictures.

 










































































Friday night I represented the University at a conference about Japanese and Indian partnerships and investments. Joining, as it did, my first foray into Asia (Japan) with my latest (India) I found it quite interesting. I am sure it was not quite as interesting for Rae as it was for me. I lured her to come with me on the hope there might be good Japanese food. She was a good sport (as always) but I doubt that it was all that interesting. AND there was sushi, after a fashion: tuna roll, vegetable roll, etc. It wasn’t great but it was sushi. Makizushi AND dal makhani at the same meal was a bit strange but I have had worse.

This was actually quite a high level event with the Japanese Ambassador to India, the Minister of Commerce as well as the heads of a couple Indo-Japanese joint ventures spoke to us. They all spoke English, with one exception, but they had simultaneous translation set up for Japanese to English and English to Japanese which was more required. It was an auspicious time for the conference. Prime Minister Modi has just finished a very successful tour of Japan at which he and the Japanese Prime Minister announced several joint initiatives. It was interesting to hear the strategy that Japan Inc. has for India Inc. and the Indian reaction to those plans.

Japan sees India as both a market and a launching pad for further interaction with other markets in Southeast Asia and Africa. India would prefer a more balanced relationship in which Japan is as open to Indian products and services as Japanese companies want India to be to their offerings. This is unlikely to happen anytime soon. Japan is still a semi-closed market in which it is essentially impossible to have success unless you have the right local partner. Oh, wait. That is exactly the same description one could use for India. Except Japan has a much better developed industrial base. Japan sees the relationship as one in which it will help India grow and develop so that it can buy more Japanese goods and maybe buy some raw materials and food (rice and fruit primarily) from India.  There is an example of Suzuki developing a car for the Indian market that it then took to other developing nations. Suzuki did not, however, take the car back to sell in Japan, which is what India wants.

There was also a fair bit of discussion about why Japanese companies do not take on Indian leadership for its Indian subsidiaries. This is a fair point. There are now Indians who lead large multi-national companies. It is not that there aren’t qualified Indian managers. The problem is the lack of trust that Japanese companies have in anyone who is not Japanese, or at least who do not speak Japanese. On this last point, I did hear a few Indians who spoke Japanese quite well. There are, according to what we heard, about 30000 Indians living in Japan. There are undoubtedly some more living here who speak Japanese, but compared to a population of 1.3 Billion people, it’s a pretty rare skill.

Not many pictures of this event but here’s one I took.



My final contribution to this week’s blontry happened at Church today. We had gotten word last night that there was to be a photo shoot after Church. It turns out the Church wanted some pictures of our branch to include in some publication or another. So, after Church was over, everyone reassembled in the Chapel. The photographer had arranged the room to maximize it photographability and had placed lights, diffusers, and synchronized strobes around the hall. After getting people where he wanted them (“we need a family over here; a few single adults over there; let’s put those two older sisters in that row”, etc.). He would take a few pictures and email them to the main photographer back in Salt Lake, who after reviewing the pictures would make suggestions on lighting or balancing the shots. This went on for about twenty minutes or so until they achieved the look they wanted. (I will say that I was put clear to the back where I may or may not be in the pictures so he clearly had a discerning eye.) Rae missed this fun as she was teaching the young women at another branch.

Once the right look was achieved, they had us sing songs, and act as if we were listening to a speaker. They wanted us to look happy, engaged, and not look at the camera. So we tried for the next half hour or so to achieve that magic combination. The biggest problem was getting people to not look at the camera. The photographer and his assistant kept waiving towards the front of the Chapel (and away from themselves) to get people to not mug for the camera. They must have shot a thousand pictures (maybe a slight exaggeration) so I hope they got something that is usable. Here’s a photograph of the photographers.






















With that I’ll turn the blontry over to Rae.

As Phil mentioned above, I was visiting another branch today.  Friday evening I got a call from the district YW president telling me it was district conference at Pitampura branch today, a branch I’ve not visited before.  She needed to tend to some other things at a different branch and the 2nd counsellor is out of town so she asked if I could do the lesson for the YW.  Yes, I can do that, so I went to my branch for the sacrament and then headed to Pitampura branch, about an hour away.  Traffic was good and we got there is record time.  I met with the young women and gave the lesson.  There were 5 young woman and 2 leaders beside myself.  We met in the tiniest classroom I think I’ve ever been in.  There were also 2 classroom table in the room so by the time we got 9 chairs in there we barely had room to move.  

As is often the case, Sunday School went over time so of course YW’s started late leaving me with a lot of material to cover and not nearly enough time to cover it. I gave the lesson and felt that it went well, but thought of so many things that I wished we’d had time to cover.  Here’s the really good part.  As I was waiting in the hall for the YW room to become available I visited with the District President, Pres. Suku.  President Suku told me that the Branch conference had been cancelled and so it would take place some other time.  WHAT, how is it we didn’t get that word?  

So, I gave a lesson I really didn’t need to give and I missed all the fun of watching the photo shoot take place.  Having said all that I’d like to say that each time I meet with the young women here in Delhi, I’m so impressed with them.  Being a member of the Church here is not easy, for many reason, and getting to church can also be a hardship.  They show such strength of character, their testimonies are so sweet and their knowledge of gospel principles impressive.  In my eyes, the strength of the church lies in this young generation.  They will really make a difference in the church here in India in the future.  I meant to take a picture of the class, but in the rush I forgot.  Sorry I can’t show you their sweet faces and the tiny classroom. 

It’s been a good week, hope yours was too. 



Namaste.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment