Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ba de ya, say do you remember, Ba de ya, dancing in September…

Yes, that’s right. We’re starting this week’s blontry with a little Earth, Wind, and Fire. It’s the first weekend in September and, while not cool by any means, there is a definite change in the weather. By the end of the month, I hope we’ll be comfortable. You’ll be able to tell it is comfortable because New Delhi natives will have started wearing sweaters and coats.

Here’s an update on ambulances in Delhi traffic and what appears to be a pretty good solution. The other day we were going somewhere, by which we were dead stopped in miles of traffic, when we heard a siren. However, this one somehow was gaining on us. How was that happening? Nothing was moving and we knew no one was going to move over and let them pass. The sound was right next to us; now it was passed us; where was it? Again, how was this happening? Then we saw the solution: they were driving on the other side of the road, driving the wrong way into traffic. By driving the wrong way into traffic, cars just parted, let them pass, and drove around them. Brilliant!

So, Delhi traffic, huh? What’s up with that? One advantage of Delhi traffic is you have plenty of time to look around. And think. One thing that I have observed is how different Delhi cars, trucks, etc. are from Singapore. I am not sure why that comparison came to mind, exactly but perhaps because of major Asian cities, these two are about as different as any two cities can be. In Singapore, it is rare to see a car older than two or three years old. Also every vehicle seems to be clean, well maintained, and without bump or scrape. Whilst in New Delhi, there is an amazing range of brand new luxury vehicles and heaps that barely seem running. Further, almost every vehicle has some evidence of the demolition derby that is the daily commute here. There is hardly a car that doesn’t have rippled quarter panels, broken lights, scuffed bumpers, or gouges and slashes of paint that are the remains of a side swipe.

This has been a frustrating few weeks at work. Why is it we always seem to have two steps back for every one step forward? In some respects we are making, clear, measurable progress. On the other hand, the pettiness, back-biting, posturing, and constant fighting for any tiny amount of increased prestige or power for one’s self (or equally as rewarding the diminution of the same for others) is a perpetual handful of gravel in the gears of progress. It is hard not to despair. But I won’t give up. In the words of Emily’s favorite movie Galaxy Quest (oh come on, Em. You KNOW you LOVE it), “Never give up! Never surrender!”

With that, here’s the beauty of a thousand galaxies, Rae.

Oh brother, I’d say I’m more like the fizzled out falling star. 

This week I’m going to talk a bit about sizes of things here in India.  Mostly I’m referring to food items.  I’ll enclose a few pictures to help illustrate.  I’ve shown in the past the picture of the bananas and how small they are.  In the US we are so used to super sizing, large portions, buying in bulk, and getting the large economy size.  Here those things do not exist. 

When I first arrived here and started trying to cook it became clear that following a recipe from home might require buying two or more of something to get enough to follow the recipe.  Let’s start with vanilla.  The bottle that Christina had purchased for us was much closer to the bottles of food coloring that I used back home.  Maybe it would be enough for a couple of recipes.  I’ve taken a picture of the vanilla I brought from the US next to the bottle of vanilla from here.  Well, that small bottle of vanilla is long gone so I used the bottle of almond extract to illustrate, same size though. 








This next picture is of a cake mix from the US, angel food by a cake mix from here.  Notice the size difference.  I added the peanut butter as a comparison.  This is the large jar of PB.  Yes, there is a smaller one. 









In this picture I’m trying to give some frame of reference.  The juice container pictured is equivalent to the containers that you would get soy or almond milk in, not too large.  It’s setting next to our water glass and next to that is the “large” size of mayonnaise that we can get.  On the smaller of my two plates you will notice one of the small bananas and a yogurt, or curd as they call it here.  I've never seen a yogurt (curd) any larger than this, that doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere, I’ve just not seen them,  I have a recipe I want to try that calls for 1 ½ cup yogurt.  I’ll have to calculate how many of those I will need to make that recipe.  Any guesses?







  
I’ve wondered why everything here comes in such small sizes and here are a few of the reasons I’ve come up with.  First, space, a lot of people, if they have refrigerators, have very small refrigerators. So, large containers would take up too much space.  People live in small places and storage space is very limited so storing large containers or multiple containers just isn’t an option.  Second, if things come in single serving sizes you can buy what you need for that meal.  I think a lot of people shop for their food for that day’s needs and maybe even that meals needs and nothing more.  Third, cost, if you only have a few rupees you can usually find some small thing to eat.   These are a few of the practical reasons I’ve come up with for smaller sizes.

I've always liked knowing that there’s a roll of TP waiting when this one is done and there’s a container of peanut butter, or mayo, or juice waiting on the shelf so I don’t find myself without.  This is something that I’ve been fortunate enough to experience most of my life.  It is an eye opener for me to see how most people here haven’t had that be their experience. How blessed I am to be able to have the space, money and ability to buy the food I want, when I want, maybe just not in the size I want.  Can’t complain too much.  Just something to make you say, “Hmm”.

  

Namaste.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment