Sunday, May 18, 2014

Something familiar, Something peculiar, Something for everyone….


It’s hard to believe I have been back here in Oregon a week. It definitely has been both familiar and peculiar. As I said in my blog entry about my trip to Stratford University, everything is familiar and easy compared to India. That is even truer here in Oregon in the very neighbourhood in which we spent over a decade. It is also more peculiar: owning a house but not staying there; going to that house to turn on the automatic sprinkler system and wandering through the yard and empty house; trying to stay connected at work when the people with whom I need to interact are 12.5 hours and half a world away.

Let’s start with the most important thing: Rae seems to be 100% at this point. There is no evidence of memory loss or cognitive impairment. Since we are passed the critical first few days where statistically she was more likely to have a stroke, and there have been no more incidents, we are acting as if everything is okay. She has a follow up appointment the end of the month, but unless something else happens I assume this event is behind us now. On the other hand, we still don’t have a definitive cause and probably never will. The two most likely causes are either TIA (mini-stroke) or complex migraine, neither of which leave any physiological evidence. Not knowing why this frightening event happened, there is no real assurance that it won’t happen again. Every day we get further from the event, the worry is reduced, but should it be? Since we don’t know why it happened isn’t it just as likely that it could happen again and we’re just hoping it won’t?

Work carried on this week, almost like I was there. A couple of things worked in my favor. There is a large project I have been working on and trying to finish. I needed to do that whether I was here or there and that involved computer work and thinking. In fact it might have been easier not being on campus. I will say my travel induced insomnia also helped. If I stayed up late, I could communicate with people in their morning. When I woke up at 3:30, I would catch them in the middle of the afternoon. In any case, other than Monday when I was really struggling with computer connectivity issues, it was a productive week. I didn’t feel too guilty. Having just about wrapped up my project, I am sure I will still have daily communication and interaction with the folks in India but I should be able to enjoy my “vacation” portion of the trip much more.

The third aspect of this week has been involvement with family and specifically trying to help more since Rae wasn’t supposed to do much. Now she might say, “What? That was helping?” but I did try. We had Carrigan every morning while Sarah taught pre-school. We also tried to take most of the care duty for Lincoln because Becca has been ill so caring for Isabel, which she is uniquely equipped right now to do, took all of her strength. You add to this a soccer practice and game for Quincy and Colvin and a baseball game for Julien and you have good quality grandkid time. We also saw and interacted a bit with Merrick, Maude, and Lauren but our time with them was definitely less than the others. We’ll have to make up for that this next week.

All in all a good week of grand parenting. Definitely not something you can do very effectively remotely.

Namaste.                        


No comments:

Post a Comment