Sunday, May 4, 2014

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink, I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink…


I love the Beatles and these lyrics seem apropos for the title of today’s blog entry. I got back to India this morning about 1:30. It was after 2:30 by the time I got home and after 4:00 by the time I got to sleep. I am still a bit groggy and need to get my feet back under me ‘cuz time and work wait for no man and groggy or not I have to start work bright and early in the morning. What better way to prepare for the week than to blog?

It was an interesting week in Virginia. I haven’t really spent a lot of time with most of the Stratford people. I was hired; had three days in Virginia at three different campuses; and was off to India. I have spent a few days with the few of them that have come to India over the last year but that’s about it. I will say the more time I spend with them, the more impressed I am. They are bright, engaged people with solid values. I am particularly impressed with Benoit Cossart the Chief Operating Officer. When I met him a year ago he had only been with Stratford a couple of months and that was the extent of his higher education. A year later I found him to be insightful and well informed about the profession and our situation. I spent about four hours with him on Thursday. I was very impressed.

One of the things that I thought was interesting was that it was harder to communicate regularly with Rae from Virginia than it is from India. We try to talk on the phone twice a day. That we talk at the end of her day and the end of mine. Being half way around the world, almost literally, that works pretty well. Well, with only three hours difference it never seemed to be quite in sync. My morning was too early for Rae in Oregon. My night was right in the middle of her helping Becca with dinner and the kids. She always took time to talk with me but I could tell it was taking time away from what she needed to be doing. So, there’s an advantage of being back in India. Woohoo!

While I was at the Falls Church campus last week they had a luncheon to celebrate diversity month. It was pot luck and there were dishes from dozens of countries. Deepak and I were free loaders; I thought about running to the grocery store to get potato salad or chips (two iconic American dishes both of which I am proficient at buying) but no, I just went and ate what the others had prepared. And yes there was potato salad still in the Safeway container. Someone beat me to it!

As part of the luncheon a Western African drum and dance group performed. Well, group is a bit of an overstatement. It was a husband and wife. They are actually part of a group that has performed all over the country and internationally. I guess they thought a pro bono performance at Stratford didn’t require the whole group. In any case I did enjoy their performance and visiting with them a few minutes. Here are some pictures.
























My week in Virginia reminded me how much I love and miss the United States. I enjoy travel; I enjoy adventure; I have seen some amazing places and met some amazing people. However, the United States is home. I know we are not perfect. Far too often we fall short of ideals – of course we will; we are made of people and as such we are imperfect. I still believe on balance it is the greatest country in the world. I think more people have more opportunity to advance in the US than anywhere else. I have to admit, part of it too is just familiarity. Everything was easy in the States. Even after a year nothing is really easy in India.

It may not be easy but it is home for now. I am glad to be back; I just wish my partner and favorite person was here as well.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment