Wednesday, March 26, 2014

If you catch me at the border, I have visas in my name….


OK. We’re legal for another year. I THINK, on balance, we are glad about that. This week’s blog will be about the trials and travails of visa and Foreign Resident Registration Office (FRRO) registration. This may not be the most exciting post for those of you following along. However, the blog is also a record for us of these three years and this is definitely a part of the experience we want to document.

You may remember the difficulties Rae had in getting her original accompanying spouse visa for India. It took weeks, several iterations back and forth between her and the consulate, and finally the intervention of our attorney. (For those of you who are planning on visiting, the tourist visa is easier but you should still plan on a month to get it, just to be safe). Well, once you get to India, the administrative hassles continue. Foreigners are required to register with the FRRO within 14 days of arriving in India. This process is an interesting amalgam of low and high tech with a generous helping of inefficient bureaucracy. Despite having someone very familiar with the FRRO process to help, it took me several trips and tens of hours of his and my time to get the registration done last year. Lessons learned, it only took Rae one trip and less than five hours to get registered.

With all of that history in our minds, we have been marking the time when we needed to renew our visas and registrations. My apprehension was also raised a bit because the person who helped last year is no longer with MAII. Anyway, we have had mid-April in our mind since last April. We decided we were going to start the process a month early so there would not be any pressure. So, about the 15th of March, I started the process of visa and registration renewal.

One of the key findings from last year is FRRO now has an online application. This APPEARS to be a step towards modernity but that would only be true if the website actually worked well. As it is getting the form completed requires three or four attempts. And this is the easiest part of the process. To make matters worse, as I was filling in the form, I was required to put in the expiration date of our current visa and registration. Whaaatt?? Despite KNOWING, KNOWING I say, that our visa and registration expire in April, a year after I arrive, it turns out they expired on March 12th. Instead of being a month early I was a week late. Technically, Rae and I were in India illegally; not the mental picture I usually have when I hear the term illegal alien.

Well, I really start to scramble now. I ask our Finance Manager to quickly as possible get the supporting documents together: a letter from MAII requesting they grant us visas, a letter from MAII saying they will take financial responsibility for us; a copy of my employment agreement; and a copy of our lease; marriage license; and Rae’s name change form, just to name some of the documentation.  All of these have to be certified as being authentic documents. Added to this are copies of passport pictures, copies of our passports, visas, and registration papers. It took a few days to get all of this in order and certified. Now we are even more overdue. Whew! Now all we have to do is upload all of these documents onto the FRRO website and get an appointment to go meet with an FRRO officer.

So, I scan each page of each document and picture, not an inconsequential task, and get ready to upload them onto the FRRO website. The pictures upload, no problem. First document – won’t upload. Repeated attempts with the same result. Well, I’ll try a second and then a third document. No success with any of them. ARGHH! Okay, our forms are filled and pictures are uploaded, maybe it will allow me to make an appointment without uploading the other documents and I’ll just bring them with me. No such luck. You can’t make an appointment until all the documents are uploaded. Well, we are “Surely” Out of Luck now. We can’t renew without an appointment; we can’t get an appointment without uploading the documents; we can’t upload the documents. It reminds me a little of the poem, “For want of a nail, the shoe was lost....”

I really didn’t know what to do, and then I remembered that there is a member of the Church in another branch who is an immigration attorney. I sent him an email stating I wanted to engage his services. This was Friday night. By Sunday, I still hadn’t heard from him but I knew he would be at a District meeting that night. I thought I would ask him then if he would help us and make an appointment to meet with him. As I was heading out the door, Rae suggested I take the file of documents with me. I thought, “That can’t hurt; maybe he can give me quick advice about what I was doing wrong,” so I grabbed them and headed out for the meeting.

After the meeting he came over to me and said, “I got your message and I would be glad to help. Do you have your papers with you?” Of course, thanks to Rae, I did so I handed them to him. He leafed through the papers and was waiting for the opportunity to set an appointment when he said, “Well, let’s go get this taken care of. President Massey, can we use the computer and scanner in your office?” So rather than setting an appointment, he took the time, (about three hours) on a Sunday night, to get our paperwork squared away and appointments set. I kept asking him to send me a bill for his time but he hasn’t yet and I don’t really suppose he will. One thing he told me was that because our visas were already expired that another step would be required. It had to go to the embassy, a step normally not required on renewal.  Yikes, more time.  We wouldn’t have cared except Rae’s booked to fly to the US on April 9th, and can’t fly with an expired visa.

Monday at 11:30 Rae arrived at the campus and she and Ramdas (our new FRRO expert) headed over to our appointment. I should say that on Thursday Ramdas had come into my office with one of the FRRO officers. The FRRO officers are on campus quit frequently. 60% of our students are not from India and they also have to register as well as get their student visas. Well, Ramdas explained to the Officer that I also was needing to renew my visa and registration. When he heard that, he said, “When you get your appointment, let me know and I will make sure everything goes smoothly.”

He was a man of his word. When we got to the FRRO office, instead of standing in a queue to get a number to stand in another queue to begin to have our file reviewed, we went up to the FRRO officer’s office. He quickly reviewed our file; rearranged the order of a few things; and said, “When you go down to the main room, see this man and let him know I have reviewed the documents.” We did so and in less than an hour we both had our visas and registrations renewed, (no trip to the embassy). We are legal for another year.

All of this really is to just explain why we are late with our blog this week. Sorry.



Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment