Sunday, September 1, 2013

I'm coming to terms, I'm starting to learn, This ain't all it's cracked up to be...

1 Sep 2013

I hope you know from our posts that I like India. I am glad we are here and I am engaged and excited by all we are experiencing. Having said that, there are times I just want to scream. Fortunately, that does not happen too often. However, in the last 24 hours it’s happened twice. My head has been on the verge of exploding.

Now that I have your attention, I am passing the helm over to Rae. I need to go finish washing the dishes. Rae?

I told Phil I would do the dishes and he could start the blog, but he just wouldn’t hear of it.  I know you are wondering why we would be doing dishes when we have someone who works for us and does that sort of thing.  Well, Christina only works for us Monday-Friday, so the weekends are up to us.  This is probably good, so we don’t totally forget how to do a few things for ourselves. 

Those of you who know me very well, know that it’s hard for me to live somewhere without feeling the need to change things at least a little bit.  As is usually the case with so many things, things look like they should work out smoothly, but then there is usually some sort of glitch.  We had purchased a new bed cover for our bed, but it is literally a bed cover, not a quilt or comforter or even a duvet cover.  Having a bed cover is okay for now since it’s so warm, but we’re told that we will definitely want more warmth than that when winter comes. So, I will be shopping for some coordinating fabric to add to the back so that it can be used as a duvet later on (glitch one). 

I knew when I first arrived I knew that I hated the curtains in our room.  So once we selected our bed cover, we were then ready to find some new drapes.  Finding what we liked wasn’t too hard and getting them hung wasn’t too bad.  Most drapes here come with either metal eyelets or fabric loops.  Ours had metal eyelets, and turns out that the eyelets in our new curtains were not as large as the ones in our old, ugly curtains, so they don’t slide on the rod like they should.  Opening and closing the curtains is pretty much impossible, so to solve this problem I had to go buy some tie backs so that we can open the curtains during the day, (glitch two). It’s probably good to remind you that stores like Target, Walmart, or Bed, Bath & Beyond do not exist, so it’s off to this store for this and that store for that.  In other word lots of different stores.

A week ago we found a duvet cover that we liked and thought would be good in the guest room, hopefully coordinating with the wall color and the art work.  We really liked it and liked it with the art work, but now the wall color is wrong.  That was my long way of telling you that we took a trip to the paint store and it’s that experience that I thought you might find interesting.  First thing you need to do is remove all images of Home Depot, Lowes, or even Ace from you minds.  Our paint store was about 12 feet wide and about 24-30 feet deep.  There are no displays of paint samples.  There is a desk that you are invited to set at.  When you tell them you need paint, they say “white” and when you say “no, color”, they open a desk drawer and pull out a tri folded piece of paper with about 60 small paint samples on it.  That is how you select your paint.  We were allowed to take the sample sheet out into the sunlight to make our decision a bit easier.  

After we made our selection the guy waiting on us picked up the phone and ordered our paint.  We were expecting to be told that the paint would be ready in a day or two, but to our surprised he said 15 minutes.  While we waited at the desk we told him we also needed a brush, roller, tape, and paint tray.  Once again, no displays to look at and choose from, but the clerk spoke to one of several other workers there and they brought a brush to the desk, unwrapped it and showed it to us.  This was the same process for the tape and the roller.  That didn’t happen for the paint tray, because they don’t have paint trays.  I asked him how you got the paint on the roller and was informed that you just dip it.  It doesn’t seem that there are different rollers for different applications.  Our roller is small and foam.  This is going to be a new adventure.  I will just warn you, if you come for a visit and stay in our quest room and don’t like the color, just don’t say anything.

One of the other fun things about setting at the desk waiting for our paint was that he kept asking us if we needed other things, like a wooden toilet seat or a wire laundry basket, or a set of scales or a few other things. If we didn’t say no fast enough he would have his assistant bring it to us and open it up so that we could see how great it was and realized we really needed it. Below is a picture of our Indian paint supplies.  (I just tried rolling the roller on the wall and it rolls about ½ way around and then stops.  I may be rubbing paint on the wall.)  Maybe some picture will follow next week, if things turn out.



For those of you who are on Facebook with me, you already know about this next adventure, but if you missed it on Facebook, here it is.  A few weeks ago Phil and I went to Ambience Mall in Gurgaon.  It is a very large, modern and upscale mall.    As we were about to leave, we noticed a sign for Chili’s.  I was interested in checking it out on our visit yesterday.  I have been craving salsa and chips and so was hoping I could get those there.  I fully expected their menu to be Indianized with all sorts of chicken this or chicken that or veg or non-veg items.  I was so excited to see bottomless chips and salsa on their menu, but nearly fainted when I saw REAL HAMBURGERS.  We both ordered a burger, and it was delicious.  I told Phil that if we couldn’t get turkey for Thanksgiving, I’d be perfectly happy going to Chili’s for a burger (chips and salsa too, of course).  I think it is so strange that I have a Chili’s here in India when all the ones around us in Portland are no longer there.

Since I seem pretty good at just random unrelated posts, I guess I’ll add one more just for fun.  I think we’ve talked about me serving in the District YW’s presidency and Phil being in the branch presidency.  Well, I guess that’s not totally it for us.  We’ve been called to serve as seminary and institute teachers.  This is not a stretch for Phil as he has taught seminary before, and he’s a really good teacher.  For me this is a stretch.  I know it will be a good thing, and something I will grow from but I also know it will require some work on my part.  Thankfully the young people we work with are so kind and accepting and so hopefully will not run me out of town on a rail. I guess if I stink, what’s the worst that will happen, they’ll release me?
Well. I’ve rambled once again and so should probably give Phil a chance to put some organization to this blog.  Now’s your chance to get something out of this blog.

Hello, everyone. Those of you who know us know that Rae is REALLY underselling herself and overselling me. During the two weeks we have taught Semitute, as I have never called it before but think I will from now on, Rae has done a magnificent job. She engages well with the class. Just as with this blog she more than caries her portion.

So I guess I’ll write my portion of the blog on how my head nearly exploded. They say confession is good for the soul I am going to confess, so I hope that’s true. I do love serving in the Church here in India. We have already had some amazing experiences and I am sure we will have more. However, it sometimes seems that people here believe two things: 1) we are here on a mission (not to work) and therefore should be ready to serve 24 hours per day seven days a week; 2) because we have been life-long members of the Church we can do anything with little or no preparation.

Last night I was trying to catch up a work assignment that I have not been able to finish. In the back of my mind, the lesson I was to teach the young men during Priesthood was lurking. The phone rang; I answered it; and heard the Sunday School President asking me if I would teach Sunday School. The teacher had called him and was not going to be there today. Well, what of the Sister we just called as a co-teacher for the class? She didn’t think she could get ready to teach with so little warning. OK, how about the Sunday School President? Could he not teach? Hmm. He might have to leave town suddenly. Apparently there was no one else in the Branch who could teach.

I was feeling sorry for myself, put upon, and angry that I was not going to finish my work assignment. Again. “Fine. I’ll teach” and hung up before the Sunday School President could say anything more. I was boiling. “Am I the only one who can teach? Don’t I need time to prepare? Am I the only one who can stay up late and get this done? How about the work I am not getting done?” You can see I was in a full pity party.

I put my work aside and started reading the material I was to teach. Martin and Willie Handcart Company? Check. People dropping everything and at personal sacrifice leaving their homes to help retrieve them? Check. D&C 81: 5-6, which calls on us to serve one another, strengthen the feeble knee, and lift up the hands that hang down? Check. By now I felt terrible. How could I teach this lesson about people who were willing to sacrifice everything; about people who were so loving and full of charity that they would throw their personal needs aside to help others? I got upset about being asked to teach another lesson! I felt awful. I felt unworthy. I felt like a hypocrite. I knew that I had to call the Sunday School President and apologize for my attitude or I wasn’t going to be able to teach this lesson. After doing so, my heart was much more at peace. Well, now I am feeling pretty good about myself. I had faced a crisis, true, but I had come through it hadn’t I? I proved how loving and patient I really am. Right. That lasted less than 24 hours.

Mehndi was sick today. He called about 45 minutes before we were to leave for Church. No problem; I called a cab and we were at Church in plenty of time. Our return was not quite as smooth. I had requested a cab to pick us up at 1:30. At 1:50 there was not yet a cab. No one answered the phone number we had been given for the driver. No one answered the number at the cab company. I’ll go to the website. No way to leave a message. No way to contact anyone. Blood pressure rising. Desire to swear increasing. I try all the numbers several more times. No answer. I DID find a way to comment on the ride that didn’t happen because the driver didn’t show up. Filing an online complaint really wasn’t very satisfying. Another round of phone calls – no answer. OK. Fine. I’ll make a request for a different cab to come now. No one is answering that line either. Wait, here is a way to request a cab online! I am half way through filling out the form when I get an error message that the server had a problem and I needed to submit the request again. Really? Fine. Whatever. I fill out the form again and hit submit. Almost immediately I get a text message my request cannot be fulfilled. There are no cabs available. WHAT? Argh! I am about ready to give up and walk home when I got a call from the first driver who, an hour late, wanted to confirm how to find us. Amazing.

I love India, I really do, but sometimes its inefficiencies are maddening. Actually, I think it is done perversely. India will lull you in to complacency. Make you feel like you have everything figured out, under control, and then WHAM. Right between the eyes. Well I have confessed my weakness; my vanity, laziness, and desire to be in control. I will continue my efforts to gain more self-control, develop greater patience, and love others more deeply. I clearly have a long way to go.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment