Sunday, May 24, 2015

Every move I take, every step I take, I’m going out going in I can’t walk…



Well, a proper writer would have built in some foreshadowing in last week’s blontry. It’s not that I didn’t know there was a problem. So, unless you have read Rae’s Facebook posts this past week, the content for this week may seem to come out of left field. I have spent most of this last week in the hospital. Knowing how much I enjoyed my hospitalization for kidney stones, this may be surprising. I, myself, was surprised at the turn of events. So, this is what got me into this situation.

When I arrived in Portland (hmm, I guess I missed two foreshadowing opportunities), my lower back was kind stiff and sore. I didn’t think too much of it since I had just spent nearly 30 hours in a cramped plane. Over the time I was in Portland, in addition to my sore back I also started having pain in my right leg: pronounced but not debilitating. I flew to Washington DC and by the time I arrived I was significantly more uncomfortable. I had started doing stretching and strengthening exercises but to little effect. Day by day my back and leg got worse. I couldn’t sleep; I couldn’t sit; and I couldn’t stand. I was having some kind of fun and looking forward to the long flight back to Delhi in coach.

I also began to suspect that I was not dealing with a back issue with radiating sciatic pain. As I researched on the interweb, I began to suspect deep vein thrombosis. The symptoms all fit and by Friday when I was getting ready to head back, my right leg was much more painful than my back.

Charu graciously allowed me to upgrade my tickets to business class but I was worried about how I would handle the flights. I made it through the Dulles airport, white knuckling every step but I made it. However, after we landed in Frankfurt, the situation was different. I was hobbling down the aisle of the plane; gasping at each step. One of the flight attendants asked me what was wrong. When she heard the Reader’s Digest version. She had me wait. I was then taken through security and to my next plane by wheelchair and electric cart.

Getting off the plane at Delhi was a repeat of the scene in Frankfurt except the equipment was older and the attendant was quite a bit smaller but I was fortunate enough to be taken right to the curb where Robinson picked me up. It was after 2:00 in the morning when we got home and I was in excruciating pain. Robinson proposed he pick me up and take me to the hospital later that day, but I really believed I needed some time to rest so I asked him to pick me up and take me to the hospital first thing Monday. I was able to find some pain killer from when I had the kidney stones, and between that and a blessing I received I made it until I could get to the hospital.
                  
Once I checked into the Outpatient Department they, quickly got processed and met with Dr. Bali. As I explained the situation and my expectation it was deep vein thrombosis. She rushed to get me admitted and my tests scheduled. Within an hour the initial diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis was rejected as the Doppler Echo showed no indication of blockage. Over the next four days, I was poked, prodded, and had subject to any number of diagnostic tests, blood values were run and rerun.

The working diagnosis was changed from deep vein thrombosis to a large cyst that was so intrusive that it was effectively cutting off blood flow to my lower leg, leading to all the associated issues. Rounds of IV medicines were hung to shrink the cyst and to fight off infection. Every day I get a letter better; have a little less pain; and can move about with less pain and difficulty.

In many respects this was a more comfortable hospital stay. The room was nicer and the bed was more comfortable. I didn’t take a ton of pictures but here are a couple:





The last day I was in the hospital, I had a consult with a Rheumatologist who is trying to get past the symptoms and find out more about the underlying issues that may have allowed my current symptoms to emerge. I meet with him again later this week. I may have more to report. In the meantime, thanks for all the prayers, and positive thoughts and energy sent my way. I truly appreciate it. Until next week.
  

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment