Sunday, October 19, 2014

All day I faced the barren waste without a taste of water…


We have talked about water before: floods in the basement; floods in the street; our shower, our RO unit that wasn't working and so I was drinking, basically, effluent, among other things. Well Tex, I am going to beat that same drum a bit more in today’s blontry.

I guess it is self-evident that clean, potable water is a key building block of society. Cities often arise (Delhi as an example) because of proximity to water. Well, it can happen that cities grow to the point that they are larger than available water can support (Delhi as an example). It turns out Delhi has a significant water issue. It is worse in the summer but it exists to some extent all year round.

First there are some apartments (fairly nice one’s too by Delhi standards) that do not have running water. There will be a sink shared by several apartments. Water is carried in for all uses. Second, even if there is running water, the quality of that water varies quite dramatically from place to place. Rarely is the water quality up to US standards but some parts of Delhi definitely have better water than others. Finally, there are whole neighborhoods that have long periods where there is no water. Water is trucked in tankers each morning and people queue up with bottles and buckets to get the water they need for the day.

Well, where there is a need, someone will step in to meet that need. Enter the water mafia. Apparently there are cartels, is a cartel (I am not sure if they are actually all part of one group) that controls water. Whatever neighborhood, building, or individual that is more able or willing to pay is the one who gets preferred access to water, which is supplied by the private water cartel. I never know how much credence to give the various conspiracy theories, but here’s the water one. Yes, water is an issue but it need not be as bad as it is. The water mafia gets buildings and neighborhoods approved by zoning with inadequate provision for water so they can sell it privately.

Our water pressure issues aside, we live in a home and neighborhood where access to water has not been an issue. Our water pressure issues have been related to the kind of weird (by our standards) way water gets moved into the building. First, water is piped into a cistern. When the cistern gets low, the faucet is turned on and it is refilled. Then, water is pumped from the cistern to holding tanks on the roof of the building. From the holding tanks, water comes into the house through cold water pipes or through a “geyser” into hot water pipes. The geyser is kind of a combination or hot on demand and “small” holding tank. Our pressure issues have had to do with 1) the cistern not being refilled; 2) problems with the holding tanks; 3) problems between the holding tank and the geyser. So, yeah, pretty much throughout the entire system.

One other thing about water. Initially when we moved here, I also made sure I drank bottled water. I was told that at work it was okay to drink the water at the campus because they bring large bottles of water into the campus. So, I shifted from bottled water to the campus water. All was okay until a couple of months ago when I spent a few days with GI issues. Someone asked me if I had been drinking only bottled water. I said, yes, except at work where I also drink water the campus supplies. He laughed and said, well, there’s you trouble. Apparently as a way to save money, they often just fill the large bottles through the tap. Yikes! So, back to bottled water again.

One last, non-water related topic. Diwali is next Thursday. Preparations have been going on for the last couple of weeks, as I mentioned in an earlier blog. Friday night Rae and I went to dinner with our friends the Slocombes at one of the malls and they, of course had their Diwali decorations up. The lights were very pretty but I was particularly impressed with the 40 foot statue of Rama. In some Hindu traditions, Diwali is primarily a celebration of Lord Rama, his wife Sita and his brother Lakshmana’s return from exile. Clearly, those in charge of decorating this mall had that in mind as they were decorating. He looks pretty triumphant, to me.






















With that, I’ll pass the baton to Rae.

This week I was educated about a piece of furniture in our house.  I will just say that I’m sad, embarrassed, and excited about this new information.  When we were looking at places to live we had thought we wanted 3 bedrooms.  Our place has two bedrooms plus the basement which was going to be an added bonus and help compensate for the lack of one bedroom.  Little did we know that our basement would be a huge let down and an area that we just don’t use; well we do store a few boxes and our Christmas tree down there.  I had thought that it could work as a third bedroom on those rare times when we would need one, an art/craft area, and a good exercise area, WRONG.  Even after being cleaned up and repainted it still smells musty and I just don’t trust that we won’t have another unexpected flood. 

We have, on three different occasions, had enough people staying here that we needed three bedrooms.  So for someone that meant an air mattress on the dining or living room floor.  I’ve felt bad at those times that we didn’t have a 3rd bedroom.  We still don’t have three bedrooms but it turns out I do have an additional bed that I wasn't aware of. YAY! Someone was visiting me the other day and they asked me if my couch was a “converter”, hide-a–bed.  “No, I wish it was but it’s just an uncomfortable couch”.  I lifted the top cushion to show her there was no pull out mattress.  She then told me that she really thought it was a converter and began removing the next cushion under the top cushion.  Then she began pulling on the front panel of the couch.  I thought, “Oh dang, I hope she doesn’t break our couch”.  I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.   





 






















I haven’t actually laid on it yet to see how comfortable it really is but it can’t be worse than an air mattress that goes flat by morning.  I’ll just end my blontry by apologizing to those who have stayed here and been given a, by morning, hard tile floor for their bed.

I didn’t do it on purpose.  Come back, we’ll treat you better. 

Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment