Sunday, June 29, 2014

We're not Romeo - not Juliet, No we're not - that's a fact….

So, from time to time President Jurial asks me to sit in on counselling sessions. I assume it is because I am old and he can, if required, lean on my many, many, many years of experience. In some cases, most often actually, I am not sure why he asks me to sit in. He typically gives the advice or counsel that I would. He might word it differently but the essence is usually aligned. Particularly when the person he is counselling only speaks Hindi, I am not sure what I offer.

Apropos the above was a session today. A single mom wanted to counsel with President Jurial about her 18 year old daughter who’s a senior in high school. I actually had a session six months ago with the mother and one with the daughter six months ago when President Jurial was out of town. At that time the mom’s concern was that her daughter was getting too serious with a boy. She was doing poorly in school and generally being a difficult teenager. She wanted me to counsel her that she was getting too serious and she need to slow down and be more cautious. I knew this not from the mom, who speaks no English, but she asked a Sister in the Branch to sit in with us and translate. She assured me her daughter speaks English well and I agreed to talk with her. Turned out, her English? Not so much. She sat and smiled at me as I tried time after time to speak with her. It turned out President Jurial was going to be back in a couple of days, and she ended up waiting to talk with him.

What brings us to today. Same mom. Same daughter. Same total lack English skills. Same problem with the daughter running around with boys, not being responsible at school, and generally worrying her mother. But this time mom has a solution. She has arranged a marriage for her daughter. To her this seems like a great solution. The daughter is out of her house and is the husband’s problem. President Jurial tried to counsel her that pushing into an arranged marriage shifts but doesn’t solve the problem. It’s a difficult sale in a culture in which an arranged marriage seems like a perfectly reasonable solution. The girl just sat there most of the time staring at the ceiling. I think she will be glad to be out of her mom’s house and on her own. If the price of that is an arranged marriage to some guy she has only met once, doesn’t seem too high. I am afraid neither mother nor daughter have thought long term about the situation.

Shifting gears: yesterday was the first day of Ramadan, 30 days of fasting and worship for Muslims. The fast lasts from before sunrise to after sunset. I read, a few years ago, about a Mormon Chief of Police in a city near San Francisco that in a show of unity decided to observe Ramadan (high Muslim population in both the city and the police force). Since I read that article, each year as Ramadan approaches I consider observing it myself. This year, I thought about it again. Then I thought about dealing with the Delhi heat without even water and I decided, “hmm, well not this year.” Another item for my bucket list.

Here’s Rae.

A couple of things made this week different from the usually heat, power outages and my trying to survive them.  On Monday morning I decided to put a load of whites in the washer.  When I saw there was still room in the washer I decided to take my robe off and add it.  While the washer was running I decided to mix a batch of cookies.  When I started looking for my phone so I could set a timer, I had a sick recollection of dropping it into the pocket of my robe.  DANG!  I went to the washer and sure enough it was there in the pocket.  DANG!  Immediately I shook water out of it and set it in front of my hair blower.  Couldn’t find rice to put it into.  I sent Phil and email and told him what I’d done and that if he wanted to reach me he’d need to email.  I then put the cookie dough into the fridge to wait for Christina (who has a phone with a timer) to come so that we could bake them.  I was trying to make cookies in preparation for some house guests that were coming on Wednesday.

When Christina arrived later in the day I told her what I’d done.  She found the rice and so I transferred my phone to a bowl full of rice and prayed that that would be the answer to saving my phone.  I left the phone in the rice until Tuesday night and then decided to try it.  It turned on, YAY!  But, I couldn’t get it to open so I could access anything.  Back into the rice til morning.  Wednesday morning it wouldn’t even turn on, just black.  DANG! 

Wednesday afternoon Phil arrived at the house with a new phone.  (Here it is)  






He is such a good guy.  So, I now have a new phone with some of my old info and more work to be done in getting things restored.  This whole thing has made it very clear to me how tied to technology (our phones) we are.  It was almost embarrassing how many times I found myself reaching for my phone that of course, wasn’t there.  I kept hearing my Dad’s voice saying “Well, it was an expensive lesson, but hopefully you’ve learned it”.  He, like Phil, was/is a patient man.

We had 4 house guest Wednesday-Friday morning.  Our friend McArthur who lives in Faizabad came with 3 young people.  Michael (16) who is from the US but visiting McArthur for the summer and 2 of her Indian neighbors, Ruby (18) and her brother Siddharth (23).  Ruby was meeting with the US embassy to apply for a visa to do an internship in the US. Siddharth came, I don’t know why, maybe just to come to Delhi or as a chaperone, not sure.  Michael turned 16 on Wednesday and so had made arrangements to be ordained to the office of priest, which Phil did today.  It is always fun to have house guests and get the opportunity to meet new people and share some of their experiences with them. 

Finally, the sister missionaries arranged a Branch photo this afternoon. You can't tell from this picture how HOT it is.




Namaste.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment