Sunday, November 17, 2013

Honesty is such a lonely word, Everyone is so untrue, Honesty is hardly ever heard…


 I don’t think we’ve mentioned it in the blog, but we have a new driver. The story of that and another situation I’ve had to deal with at work are the subjects of my part of this week’s blog.

First Mehndi. A couple of weeks ago Mehndi told me his father was “dead” (I assumed he meant very ill) and he needed to take a week off to go to be with him in the hospital. Work got a temporary driver for the week and we were off and running, err driving. Shelendar was like the opposite of Mehndi. Where Mehndi was aggressive, even wild sometimes, Shelendar was VERY cautious and careful in traffic. Where Mehndi was talkative, Shelendar hardly said anything. Where Mehndi knew every location in Delhi and three or four ways to get to and from each, Shelendar barely knew his way around. Despite all of that, it was kind of relaxing.

Well the first day, Shelendar took me to a place Mehndi had taken me dozens of times. I should tell you one thing: when there’s a parking fee, the driver may pay it originally, but he then is reimbursed for those fees. So, I said to Shelendar, “What was parking?” He told me 10 rupees.  I didn’t believe I had heard correctly so I asked again and got the same answer. I was surprised because Mehndi had always said the parking was 80 rupees there. The next day was Saturday and we had Shelendar take us to a shopping area. So, when we were through, I asked, “What was parking?” This time Shelendar said 20 rupees. This is compared to the 150 Mehndi would usually have said. Later that day Shelendar took us to the mall. Here the parking was 50 rupees compared to the 350 rupees that Mehndi would have said.

The next Monday at work, I asked, “what does parking usually cost?” I was told that except at the mall, where it might be 50 rupees, normally it would be 10 to 20 rupees. “Would parking ever be as much as 350?” I asked. No that would be impossible. So, anyhoo, I explained the pattern Mehndi had been following for the past five months. It was clear that Mehndi was overcharging me significantly for parking at every turn. Additionally, often I would not have the exact amount Mehndi would specify, so I would give him 100 rupees. I rarely got the difference repaid. Also, I would periodically buy Mehndi lunch or dinner if we were out for a long time. It became clear that Mehndi was systematically cheating me by overcharging. This discovery led to a review of the reports Mehndi had been turning in. It turns out he had also been padding his hours. We decided that based on that he would have to go. Now to find a replacement.

Shelendar was not a choice. A: see the above description about Shelendar’s driving and demeanor; 2: Shelendar lives a long way off and the hours he was willing to work were restricted; and III: he wanted too much money. What to do, what to do?

We had determined we were actually going to get two drivers. One to work Sundays and one to work the other six days. I had suggested the name of a member of our branch who was a driver, who had told me he couldn’t work full time but would like to work weekends if that opportunity ever occurred. So Robinson (his name is Robinson Singh) interviewed for the part-time position and wowed everyone. In that process, he found out we were looking for a full time driver too. Despite the fact he had only wanted part-time, when he found out he would be our driver he said he wanted to work full time and be our driver. So now he is.

Now for the other situation. Through a combination of events, we came to know that one of my directors, a manager, and our handyman were involved in a long standing fraud involving skimming money from contract work, getting kickbacks from vendors, and stealing and selling surplus property. Friday I let them all go. That will put us in a bind for a while as we try to keep things operating. I expect with them out of the way, we will find more ways they have been skimming money from the organization.

In talking to Charu, our CEO about the situation, she had an interesting perspective. She said, In India you always assume there will be some amount of kickbacks, some amount of stealing, and graft. You just think of that as part of the cost of doing business. However, when it gets to the point this had; when the corruption was blatant, wide spread, and there wasn’t even much attempt to cover it anymore, then you have to take action. I know I am just a naive country boy. I know there is graft and fraud in the States as well. But the degree to which corruption here has invaded every aspect of the economy, and the degree of complacency that exists amazes me. It does seem, “…Everyone is untrue, Honesty is hardly ever heard….”

Here is someone’s who integrity is above reproach. Rae, it’s all yours.

Hi all,

Our new driver has been a driver in Delhi for about 20 years, plus he grew up here, so he really does know his way around. He also speaks English a lot better than either of our other 2 drivers which from my stand point is a great advantage. 

If you are on Facebook with me you will have heard a bit about this experience, and I apologize for repeating myself.  On Saturday Phil and I had gathered a couple of pair of shoes that were in need of repair in hopes that Robinson would know of a repair shop.  We asked Robinson if he knew of a shoe repair and he told us he did.  Said there were a couple across the road in New Friends Colony.  He drove down one road slowly looking for what I assumed would be one of the little stalls that are all over.  He then turned onto another road and did the same.  After a short distance he pulled over to the side of the road and said we “are here”.  All I could see were 4 or 5 men sitting on their haunches on the sidewalk.  There was no sign, no table, and from what I could see no supplies.  Robinson got out of the car with Phil and the shoes, had a conversation and then got back in the car with no shoes.  Phil’s shoes needed new heels, and I had a pair of sandals that needed new soles.  I had taken my sandals to a repair shop in the US and was told that they weren’t worth fixing because new soles would be around $50, more than my sandals were worth.  I loved those sandals and so didn’t throw them away because I was going to wear them a bit longer if I could.  After Phil got back in the car he told me that the costs was 300 rupees, (less than $5) and they would be ready in about 4 hours.  We drove away with me wondering if we would ever see our shoes again and also wondering how they were going to accomplish the task with so few tools or supplies.  When we got our shoes back just over 4 hours later, they looked great, and I was shocked and thrilled.  

I tried to quickly take a couple of pictures from inside the car, so they are not great pictures, but hopefully you will get the Idea.  The picture of the back of Phil is him talking to the shoe repair guys.
Just down the sidewalk I took a couple of other pictures.  They are examples of some of the other things or services that you can find on the sidewalks.  One picture is a board of locks.  I’m wondering if these were locksmiths along with vendors.  The other picture is something I’ve noticed all around.  It is a chair facing a fence with a mirror propped up on the fence.  Maybe you’ve guessed already, but this is where you would go for a haircut or a shave, or even both.  I’ve also seen ironing, food vendors cooking on a hot plate, people selling tea or tobacco, and while I haven’t seen it yet, I’ve heard you can get dental work done, (at least a tooth pulled).  I’m going to try to pay better attention in the future, because quite honestly a lot of these things have gone totally unnoticed by me.  Maybe I’ll have others to add to the list in the future.  Hope you can interpret the pictures and find them interesting.  There are so many fascinating things that I’m not able to capture from a moving car.      








Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment