Sunday, October 20, 2013

I will wait for you, Meditating how sweet life will be when you come back to me

.
The lyrics I have chosen for this week’s blog, from a song by Frank Sinatra, have a double meaning. The first layer meaning should be immediately obvious if you remember that Rae has been gone to the US for nearly a month and gets back this week. I miss her tremendously and do know how sweet life will be when she comes back to me. The second meaning will become clear as you read the blog and find out some of the events of this week.

Charu Modi, our founder, is a visionary. She is always looking for ways to push the boundaries of what we’ve done and what we can become. Part of her vision is to create a university that instructs and expands the whole person not just the intellect. She has a vision for an integrated curriculum/student life that would engage students intellectually, spiritually, physically, emotionally, and socially. To that end, we are always looking for ways to expand student experiences beyond the classroom. This week was an interesting experiment in that regard.

This week we have had Thomas Amelio on campus. Thomas is the Executive Director of the Open Center in New York City, which is dedicated to a holistic approach to developing and training people. They offer a wide variety of courses including meditation, yoga, massage, etc.. Thomas’ expertise, in addition to his management skills as the Executive Director, is in meditation. Born and raised in the States, he was trained as a boy by his father in yoga. Then as a young adult he came to India and spent many years studying in an Ashram (spiritual retreat) studying Hindu metaphysics and meditation. As I mentioned he has been on campus teaching seminars to our students, faculty, employees, and the general public on chakras, mantras, meditation, and healing. Part of the purpose was, as I said to expand the exposure of our students beyond the classroom and beyond the theories and concepts they are studying. Another aspect is to help us determine whether we should form a joint venture with the Open Center to offer a wide variety of courses to the public, such as they do.

I have participated in two of the seminars Thomas has taught. It’s been interesting on s couple of levels. I think I have mentioned before that about half of our student body are from countries other than India. So here we sat, an American teaching ancient Indian traditions to a group of people many of whom were hearing the concepts for the first time. Added to that mix were Indians for whom the ideas were at least basically understood and a significant number of whom were well informed about, and practitioners of, the concepts. This last group really struck me. What would Indians, who were trained in and practiced meditation techniques, think of this American coming in and teaching their traditions? Would they think, “What’s up with this gora (white person) in jeans and t-shirt coming here and teaching us? What does he think he is, some kind of guru?”

Well, if they did think that, they didn’t say so. I watched and most of the participants in his classes were quite engaged. Several came up to him after the sessions and visited with him one to one. Most tellingly, many of people came back for more than one session. In talking to some of them, they found Thomas’ western approach to the Hindu concepts direct and engaging compared to how a traditional guru would have taught the same concepts.

As for me, I found the sessions I attended fascinating. I had some basic understanding of chakras, mantras, and meditation. However, I never had studied these concepts in the detail I did this week. As I learned about the chakras and what they represent, I heard echoes of Jungian psychology and Maslow’s hierarchy of need. As I learned about the power of mantras, I reflected on the power that certain sounds (and music in particular) have in my own life. As I learned the concept that we are made of material bodies and “energy bodies”, I thought of my own belief that we are spiritual beings currently and temporarily inhabiting physical bodies. 

One clear difference in these beliefs, I know from my previous studies, is the belief of what is the ultimate outcome of the duality of physical and spiritual being. Hinduism teaches the ultimate state of man is to transcend the material and become one with the cosmic consciousness (a gross simplification I know). I believe, and the Church teaches, that our ultimate destiny is an eternal union of the spiritual and physical through the resurrection of Christ. Still, despite the differences in belief, there were ideas and concepts that resonated with me and which I was glad to learn and understand. In particular I felt closer to my sister Elizabeth whose beliefs are closely aligned with, perhaps even at one with, what Thomas taught. As I learned more about the belief that energy from our spiritual body can be used to influence and heal the spiritual bodies of others, I understood more fully how Elizabeth used those methods to bring comfort to our mom and dad in their last hours. Thank you, Elizabeth, for being a good, loving, caring person.

Church today was interesting. Last week we had a delayed broadcast of General Conference. This week was a recording of Asia Area Stake and District Conference. We started locally with announcements, opening song, and opening prayer. We then watched a recording from Salt Lake that included talks and presentations, from David F. Evans of the First Quorum of Seventy (he serve in my same mission just before me), Jean A. Stevens, First Counselor in the Primary General Presidency (and sister of our good friend Mary Griffiths), and Apostles Jeffrey R. Holland and Robert D. Hales. The meeting was very good, with a sweet strong spirit. Elder Holland, who has just been assigned to supervise the Asia Area noted that the Conference was being played in 24 countries, and in 17 languages. He noted the Church’s presence and influence in the Area was relatively new but the faith of those who join the Church, often in the face of significant societal pressure, is amazing.

After the broadcast, we had three baptisms. It is great to see the growth of the Church in India. It’s exciting to play a small part in that growth. Until next week I bid you…


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment