Sunday, August 11, 2013

That's the night the lights went out in Georgia (err New Delhi)...

11 Aug 2013

This has been an interesting week. Well, that’s not truly fair; the weeks are almost always interesting. This one was interesting in a couple of unique ways. It’s been an interesting week at work and Friday was Eid, the last day of Ramadan. In addition Rae has a calling (that she knows about and another one in the works) and we are getting settled in at our flat. I’ll talk about the first couple of items and leave the other two and whatever else she wants to talk about to Rae.

First work: there are changes afoot. Sukanta, who has been our COO, was asked to resign but allowed to retire. He has been with MAII for nearly three years and during his time the performance has gotten worse each year. I have known, actually, that this day was coming for some time. It would have happened sooner but our CEO was trying to give me time to get fully settled in and get a better grasp on the unique aspects that come in the Indian context. However, after another quarter of decline she and the board decided that it was time to make the change. He announced his resignation to the management team on Thursday and Charu sent an email to all employees and to key people in Stratford University later that day.

I have some mixed emotions. It has been clear to me for some time that Sukanta, despite his strengths, was not the right person for the job. I feel sorry for him. It is never easy to know you have failed and frankly at his age this is likely his last job. In fact he mentioned he was thinking about relocating to the UK where his son lives, so maybe he actually will retire and not just “retire”. I am not too worried about the reaction of the campus management or staff. I have developed good relationships and having been here for a few months I am a known quantity. It’s not like someone brand new is coming in. The one thing I am worried about is if some will think I orchestrated Sukanta’s ouster, and if they believe that if they would hold that against me. Again, I think I have built a good relationship with everyone and don’t anticipate any problems from the change in role.

In some ways it will now be easier for me to do what I was hired to accomplish. I was hired to come in and make the changes necessary to bring success. With Sukanta in place I sometimes felt like he was a brake on what I needed to do. On more than one occasion he gave directions to managers that countermanded directions I had given. That always caused panic and confusion and I had to settle things back down and re-establish the direction we needed to go.

I wish I could say with Sukanta gone our organisational changes are over but I am sure there will be at least one more round. There are several factors at play. One, we have too many employees for the number of students we have and project through the end of the year. Two, our academic department is terribly unorganized. There are not clear job responsibilities, several people have overlapping duties. I think we are probably overstaffed in some areas and understaffed in others but it is hard to sort it all out. As my father would say, right now it is a mare’s nest. Finally, we still have several people performing at unacceptable levels in admissions. We are working our way through the performance improvement process with several folks, and I am sure there are more changes yet to come. Any one of these changes would not be terribly disruptive in and of themselves but in aggregate it creates a fair amount of organizational stress. At least I am aware of that as an issue and what it takes to help alleviate that stress, starting with open, honest, and reliable communication. That will be novel here. Sukanta has had one employee meeting in three years. People did not know how to react because it was so novel. At some point they may think we have too many employee meetings but they won’t think we are keeping them in the dark.

Shifting to Eid. You probably have heard of Ramadan but you might not be aware of Eid. Ramadan, of course is a month long religious observance during which Muslims fast each day from dawn to sunset. It is to be a time of purification, spiritual growth, and recommitment to the principles of Islam. Eid is the first day of the month after Ramadan and it is a celebration. Family and friends get together for parties, feasts and festivals. There are also special religious observances on Eid: special prayers are offered and charitable contributions are to be made to the poor. As I mentioned, it is a time for gathering with family and friends. Sometimes this entails people returning home from some distance or gathering in a central place. Mehndi, our driver, is Muslim and his extended family have all gathered in Agra, which is the location of the Taj Mahal. He was very excited about getting together with his immediate family, aunts, uncles, and cousins. He has been about as animated this week when he talked about his plans as I have seen him. He left Thursday evening and will be back to Delhi this evening. While he has been gone, we have been getting around by cab. It has worked out okay but our freedom of movement has been somewhat restricted.

Well, I think that’s it for me. Heeerrreee’s Johnny, I mean Rae….

Rae here.
This week has been uneventful as far as water in the basement or anywhere else, but it hasn’t been without some electrical issues.  Besides the usual outages that seem to come with the downpours, we have had a couple of other interesting, and by interesting I mean puzzling, electrical issues.  Last night we had just gotten home and were going to work on getting our computer set up when all our lights went out.  We checked our breaker panel and could get the lights to come on for just a few seconds and then they would go off again.  There were also some outlets that worked and some that didn’t, for instance, my night stand light worked, but Phil’s didn’t.  Our bedroom TV worked, but not our living room. Our AC units were still working, thankfully.  After some tries we were able to communicate with the guard that we had no lights. They took a shot at our panel and eventually an electrician was called.  Turned out it was an exterior fuse in the main electrical panel.

 In various places in the house there are these stabilizer boxes that are mounted on the walls.  Before I got here there had been a problem with the one in our bedroom which meant that the AC units and some outlets in the two bedrooms don’t work.  Well, last night the stabilizer in our bedroom kept making clicking noises and so we had some question about whether it was going out.  That question was answered when we got home late this afternoon from church.  Yes, it was failing and had finally died.  So, right now we have no AC and no outlets in the two bedrooms.  The electrician has just arrived and so we’ll see how this plays out.  Luckily we don’t have to pay for all these weekend electrician visits.  I’m not sure that there are such things as weekend rates, since Saturday and Sunday don’t mean the same to them here. 

Phil mentioned that we have had alternative travel arrangements this weekend, as our driver has been away.  Yesterday we had our driver take us to Select City mall to see if we could get a few of the things we still needed.  This driver was much more patient and much less aggressive than Mehndi. He did however take us to a different part of the mall than Mehndi usually does so I took a couple of pictures of the entrance that I’d not seen before.  This mall area has 2 or 3 different malls kind of all together.  There are a couple of car dealerships inside the mall also. 

In order to enter the mall you must go thru security.  If you are carrying a purse or backpack they go thru a scanner. Sometimes you are ushered into a booth and they “wand” you.  I’ve never been “wanded” before, but yesterday both Phil and I were “wanded” a couple of times as we went from one mall area to another.  We arrived at the mall about 1:00 which is early by Indian standards, so there was no line to go thru security when we entered.  We left the mall around 5 and as we walked out there were just a few light sprinkles, but as we waited for our driver to arrive the sprinkles turn to mild rain then to heavier rain, and then to a real downpour.  It took our driver a bit of time to get us because the traffic into the mall was very heavy and I noticed that the queue into the mall was quite long.  Glad I wasn’t waiting in the queue right then.  The mall is a noisy crowded place, so don’t let the quiet tranquil exterior picture of the mall throw you.  I should have taken some pictures of the queue and the inside.  Maybe I’ll be smarter next time.




Phil mentioned that I have a calling.  I was actually called 2 weeks ago but have yet to be sustained.  In spite of that I have been given some assignments and have needed to move forward even though I’m not official.  My new calling is 1st counselor in the District YW’s.  The reason they are having me move forward with things is because we are having girls camp next weekend.  Girl’s camp here is quite different from what I’ve ever experienced, so I will have more to tell you about that after next weekend.

Well, that’s a few of this week’s events.  Hope you all are not taking for granted your constant flow of electricity.
      
Namaste, almost


PS. The electrician has us fixed temporarily and so here’s hoping we hang in there until they can do the necessary repairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment