Sunday, November 16, 2014

I thought I could do something good, But I'll never do that again…


If you are an obsessive reader of this blog, or if you have an eidetic memory, you will recall I swore when I went to Jaipur again, I would NOT return to Delhi at night. Well, never say never. I was in Jaipur on business this week. It was a toss-up whether I would work late on Thursday and return Friday or if I would get away early enough to leave Thursday. Well, it became clear I was going to be able to leave by 2:00, which should have gotten me home by 8:00; dark but before the trucks start into Delhi. Well, 2:00 ended up being 3:30 and the traffic was about as bad as I remembered. Robinson is a better driver than Mehndi was, so the overall experience wasn’t as bad.

The only time my heart stopped was when a pair of motorcycles pulled out in front of us without any warning and with little time for Robinson to react.  One motorcycle floored it and got passed us, one motorcycle slammed on its brakes, Robinson slammed on his brakes and swerved, missing both of them…barely.

Rae and I are planning to go to Jaipur later this month with the Slocombes. I was hoping I would have time in Jaipur to take a few pictures – sort of a photograph amuse-bouche. As it turned out, I was so busy I had no chance to take any pictures, so here’s one from the files.




If all goes well, in two weeks we should be rotten with pictures to share.

As implied above, this week has been made of long work days. We have been working with a large services outsourcing company to offer our MBA to their employees. A few of us have been meeting with employees at several of their locations. Our days have started early and have gone on late into the evening (the earliest I got home was 10:00 PM and some of the teams worked later than that). It appears to have been time well spent however. We had over 700 of their employees who have indicated they want to do their MBA with us. Now it is probable not all of them will start, but in any case it should be a great boost to our organization.

Well, that’s it for me this week. Sorry it’s not too exciting. I’ll try to do better. In any case, here’s Rae.
  
Well, while Phil had a very long and busy week I did my best to keep the universe balanced by having almost the complete opposite.  Because Phil was away with the car, my options for going out were limited.  So, I stayed home, worked on a few random projects and hoped that his time away was productive and safe, knowing he might be doing a night drive home from Jaipur. 

Because I didn’t go anywhere and have no new adventures to share, I've decided to post a few random pictures from previous outings that haven’t made it into earlier posts.  Hope you enjoy them. 


India is a land of contrasts.  What you see on the roads is no exception.


While high tech is  alive and well in India, the electrical systems don't fall into that category, another contrast.  I don't know how anyone sorts this out, but somehow they seem to,  Amazing.








We were riding in a rickshaw in old Delhi and came upon this guy carrying this lantern thing on his head.  Don't know where he was going or what it is used for.  




Our one-armed rickshaw driver.



Taj Mahal taken from Red Fort



Two interesting doorways in a Sikh neighborhood in Old Delhi





More electrical fun.  Below is the result of the burning smell and sizzling sound we were getting from our geyser plug. The picture on the left is our geyser which gives us hot water at our kitchen sink.  "Oh, do you want hot water in your kitchen?" was the reply when we asked how come no hot water came from any of the taps  This is our solution.
When in Rome, (India)









We now have a new plug.


Namaste  

No comments:

Post a Comment